Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, May 18, 2009

Celebrating a wonderful life

Monday, May 11th we celebrated my Grandpa Gail's life. It started early and we're still celebrating. At 10:30 was the Rosary at St. Elizabeth's in Bothell and then at 11:15 was the funeral mass. My Grandma asked my cousin Brianna and I to do a couple of readings for the mass. I was a nervous wreck, but pulled it off okay. The day was a little gloomy weather wise and emotionally, but ended sunny.
Me and Ryan leaving for mass
Me and my brother Ryan
After the burial at Holyrood Catholic cemetery everyone was invited back to Mill Creek Country Club where we really started to celebrate Grandpa. It was nice hearing stories and being able to reminisce.

My Dad Neil, me and my step-mom Rosie
My dad stood up and told a story about the first time he met my Mom's Grandparent's right after they had gotten engaged and how he was asked to give grace at dinner. My dad sad, "Father, Son, Holy Ghost, the one who digs gets the most". My great-grandpa was speechless and my Grandpa just hung his head. The story was pretty funny. I could totally picture my Grandpa just being dumbfounded, but still thinking it was pretty clever, considering my dad was NOT Catholic by any means.

U. Peter, Ryan (my cousin Brianna's fiance), David (my cousin), Ryan, Josh (my cousin), Ryan (my brother), U. Chris
All of the boys wore Grandpa's ties and everyone, excluding Uncle Peter, were Pallbearers. U. Peter walked Grandma down the aisle to be seated.
The Guys with Grandma
Grandma looked so beautiful! I'm sure Grandpa was smiling at how lucky he was to have such a gorgeous and wonderful wife!
Vanessa (my cousin Josh's girlfriend), Rachael (my sister-in-law), Me, Megan (my cousin), A. Tammy, Grandma Claire, A. Leslie, my Mom Shannon, and Brianna (my cousin)

All of us girls
My Grandpa was always outnumbered by women. He had three daughters, my mom being the oldest, then my Aunt Tammy and then Aunt Leslie. He had six grandchildren; three boys and three girls. Four great-grandchildren; two boys and two girls.

The whole family.
Ryan and I

Ryan, David, and Josh
My brother is the oldest of the grandchildren. Followed by me, then Brianna, David, Josh and then Megan is the baby.

Me and my baby cousin Megan.
I know she hates it when we all refer to her as the baby, but Megs ~get over it!! :)

Me and my sister-in-law Rachael
She's been my big sis since I was in fourth grade. Her and my brother have been together since high school, but friend since junior high.

My cousin Brianna
Brianna is engaged to a Ryan and they are getting married August 1st. I know Grandpa will be in the front row. No way would he miss it!!

Uncle Peter, Aunt Tammy, Megan and David

Brianna, Ryan, Aunt Leslie, Uncle Chris, Vanessa, and Josh

Ryan, Me, Mom, Rachael, and Ryan
The day was beautiful. It felt surreal. Every day I think about Grandpa and how much I miss him. I'm taking it day by day and I can say that today is better than yesterday and I'm sure tomorrow will be better than today.
I miss you Grandpa.

No comments: